Advertise Box

Please do not be too quick to kill a snake.

English name: Paradise tree snake
Family : Colubridae
Species: Chrysopelea paradisi
Maximum Size : 1.2 metres

This is a paradise Tree snake. I just removed it from my neighbour's house.This morning, my neighbours rang my doorbell at about 8.50am and alerted me that they found a snake in their house.I was still half asleep in my night clothes but excitedly I proceeded to their house...I didn't expect to find a paradise tree snake as these snake normally live high in the canopy of trees but somehow this one managed to slither down into my neighbour's house.It is a beautiful snake...this one is slightly injured and thus very aggresive, probably because my neighbours were poking at it with a stick before they called me.


Though fast, when I finally got hold of it...I picked it up with my bare hands and removed it quite easily.It bit me twice when I tried to photograph it though...but that is no matter as the venom of these snakes are very weak and only enough to immobilize a lizard.Now that you know...Should any one of you encounter these snakes in your house in future...please do not hit it with a stick and kill it...a child's fish net is sufficient to catch these little snakes.Then place it in a jar/box/pillowcase and release it i where there are loads of trees.

It is unfortunate how snakes has a bad reputation with most people who would be too quick to just kill it.Often a snake attacks only because it is in distress and wants to defend itself or if it wants to eat. It should be noted that some girls would attack a guy unfairly too if they are unfamiliar with a guy and feel a threat. Now we don't go around kicking girls do we? Once a snake realizes that you are not a threat and you obviously do not qualify for dinner, they are wonderful companions who would just slither harmlessly around you...

Name: Monty
English Name: Reticulated Python
Species:Python Reticulatus
Family:Pythonidae
Maximum size: 9 metres

A snake slithered into the office of St. Francis Xavier church. It was initially aggressive and even bit the priest Father Simon Yong.However...with regular handling it gradually understood that Human meant no threat and could be friends. Today he is the church snake and bring alot of joy to the parishioners of the church. He has been named Monty.

Name : Blade (RIP)
English Name: Oriental Whip Snake
Scientific Name:Aheatulla Prasina
Family: Colubridae
Maximum size: 2metres

Blade which belonged to Carol Teoh and once lived with me also brought alot of joy to the kids at church.

English Name: King Cobra
Scientific Name:Ophiophagus Hannah
Family:Elapidae
Maximum Size: 5 metres

Some snakes like the king cobra are very venomous and could potentially kill you. These snakes I am not even ready to handle. The above picture was taken under close supervision by a professional handler. However judging all snakes by the reputation of a king cobra is like associating a kindergarten girl to a terrorist or a murderer. But even king cobras are in nature un-confrontational and would slither away peacefully if given the chance.

So next time you see a snake...please have some sense and compassion and don't be too quick to kill the snake.

If you really need to vent your frustrations...there are better things to kill...


I do really wonder though how the politicians in our country do terrible things and we can still find the compassion to let them live...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers