The restaurant I work at sucked out my soul yesterday, but I think I've done an moderately okay job of retrieving it.
It's humbling to be back in the service industry, and don't get me wrong, it is fun, but woe to my dignity.
I have an innate need to speak honestly with people. So, yesterday when someone told me that they had never been more angry in ten years (because of their botched lunch), I wanted to say, "Congratulations, Sir," but instead erupted in spurt of frustrated tears.

Over lunch. Over lunch. A fucking HAMBURGER made me cry.
After a few martinis, I came home took my dog for a run and sitting down and working on my masterpiece was easy, relaxing, and sweet. It felt wonderful to become totally absorbed in my work. I can't wait to post pictures, but have to hold off until it's finished.
I've been rereading Rothko's book "Artist's Reality: A Philosophy on Art". Its really challenging me to change the way I think about color and the application of paint. I think with my goal of 100 paintings in a year, of course I was able to create a lot of (awesome) work, but one specific thing was missing.
When you spend a lot of time with a painting, it starts to speak to you. You almost create a dialog with the work, its a push and pull. It's thrilling, invigorating and incredibly satisfying.
More than that, after you spend a certain amount of time with a piece, it starts to breathe. Mark Rothko's paintings were fabulously alive.
It's humbling to be back in the service industry, and don't get me wrong, it is fun, but woe to my dignity.
I have an innate need to speak honestly with people. So, yesterday when someone told me that they had never been more angry in ten years (because of their botched lunch), I wanted to say, "Congratulations, Sir," but instead erupted in spurt of frustrated tears.

Over lunch. Over lunch. A fucking HAMBURGER made me cry.
After a few martinis, I came home took my dog for a run and sitting down and working on my masterpiece was easy, relaxing, and sweet. It felt wonderful to become totally absorbed in my work. I can't wait to post pictures, but have to hold off until it's finished.
I've been rereading Rothko's book "Artist's Reality: A Philosophy on Art". Its really challenging me to change the way I think about color and the application of paint. I think with my goal of 100 paintings in a year, of course I was able to create a lot of (awesome) work, but one specific thing was missing.
When you spend a lot of time with a painting, it starts to speak to you. You almost create a dialog with the work, its a push and pull. It's thrilling, invigorating and incredibly satisfying.
More than that, after you spend a certain amount of time with a piece, it starts to breathe. Mark Rothko's paintings were fabulously alive.
More
Contact
Submit
Premium