| If you read my last blog entry and were bored to death by all my bitching, rest easy. I have less to complain about now that I've started parking half a mile away from my house and have successfully avoided parking tickets, corrupt security guards and ravenous tow-truck drivers. Also, my dog has refrained from running headlong into any other neighbors' windows, lucky for me and those two demonic creatures that live downstairs. So, although now I'm teetering on the edge of broke, I have so many things in my life right now that I am infinitely grateful for I almost feel rich. |
![]() |


![]() |
First, I moved my art studio to Los Angeles, into a warehouse with four other artists. It is truly amazing. Yes, its located in a pretty sketchy neighborhood, but I like most things in my life a little rough around the corners. The people I'm sharing the warehouse with are creative, inspiring, interesting, and kind. There is a fashion designer (and his beautiful and talented fashion designer girlfriend), a photographer, a metal artist, a painter/performance artist, and a martial artist/musician/problem solver. They are all super badass creative people, and I feel so lucky to know know them. I love it there, and its so nice to be able to paint in a large, open space.
The warehouse itself is something like fourteen thousand square feet. It has two levels. The bottom level is for pure creation. Well, pure creation and skating. Theres a freshly built halfpipe across the warehouse from my studio.Don't know about you, but I think its awesome. The second level is more or less for offices, fashion design, hanging out, cooking, etc. The whole place is awesome, and is becoming better and better and I acquire the things I need to be comfortable (space heater, constant source of coffee, a curtain for my studio, large headphones, paintbrushes that aren't totally tore up)
Painting in front of other people takes some getting used to. I've never really mentioned this quirk on my blog but I'm intensely private and tend to isolate when I'm painting. It's almost a borderline secret activity for me and when I paint out in the open, exposing myself to the world and it's criticisms, it feels a little like standing stark naked in front of a firing squad. Why did I move my studio from my hermitage into a collective, you ask? Because Erin Lopes, the first art teacher I ever had when I was eight years old, told me that to be an artist is to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.And lately, its true, I've been too comfortable. And what follows comfort but complacency and eventually....a total extinguishing of the spirit? I realize how dramatic that sounds, but its incredible how quickly mediocrity can creep up on your life if you allow yourself to be too satisfied with who you've become. Not to say that you shouldn't be grateful for the things in your life or proud of your accomplishments, on the contrary, you should be constantly celebrating your successes.
But to live your life with a dream in mind is simply exquisite, assuming you have the will and the courage to go for it.
Speaking of dreams and goals, I'll be doing the Great Wall of China Marathon this year. However, in comparison to last year, I'm doing much, much better. First of all, I'm eating properly so I won't be in dire need of medical care at the finish line. Second of of all, I have discovered a secret weapon for running that surpasses all others.. Being an avid researcher of running science, I have investigated several different tools used by long distance runners all over the world. Here are several:
1. vibram five fingers: They correct my running form, make my feet and calves strong as steel, and garner attention from passerbys who are geniuinely intrigued and in some cases, disgusted by the audacity of the ten toed monostronsities.
2. chia seeds: Eaten by ultramarathon champion runners from the Tarahumara of northern mexico, little chia seeds give you ample energy and sustenance for long runs, and are a nutrition powerhouse. And as far as flavor goes, well...frankly, its a little like indulging in hamster food, without the occasionally pleasurable sunflower seed.
3. pandora radio: music on long runs is totally indispensable
4. unbending will and positive attitude: If I go out to run 12 miles, I'll run 12 miles, regardless of weather,
bodily pain, or laziness. Possessing an inner commandant will take you far, literally and figuratively speaking.
and last but not least....
5. A running partner. My running partner, Mary Jane, has been inexplicably motivating and encourages me to go longer, faster, and harder than ever before. And although I'm not quite sure if Mary Jane is coming with me to China, as there are some visa/passport issues, but I'm sure simply by training with her until I leave will do wonders.
Everything else is going swimmingly in life. An abundance of love and laughter from friends and loved ones. I'm living with my sister and her boyfriend, which is interesting and well, fun? Yes, fun. I've been neglecting my plants, but oh well. I don't have time. The one thing that is missing in my life in nature. I miss hanging out in the trees. I need to get to the woods, or the jungle, or the ocean soon. I can't be good for a human being to spend all day in a concrete jungle.
Also, I'm painting a lot. Works in progress...:
All in all, I'm still totally in love with the entire world. (some people more than others)
More
Contact
Submit
Premium





